Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Thoughts about reading during the morning commute

 
 
     A few years ago I ordered a copy of Harold Bloom's "Shakespeare:  The Invention of the Human" from Quality Paperback Books.  I thought that as a college-educated English-speaking person, I should be more familiar with the works of the greatest English writer.  I started reading the work earlier this year and got bogged down about halfway through and decided to take a short break.   I picked it up again this week and was reminded why I had put it down for a while.  That reality is the inspiration behind this original limerick:
 
  
                                          While reading today on the train
                                          Few thoughts would stay lodged in my brain.
                                          It seems there's no room
                                          For more Harold Bloom
                                          So I think I may have to abstain.
 
 
       Perhaps he felt the same way about writing as I do reading his words... 

 

No comments: